Friday, October 17, 2008

Vocoder... Just Call it Plastic Surgery!

Is it just me or does anyone feel like the vocoder machine is taking the beauty out of real pure talent? For those who are confused, the vocoder is the machine T-Pain uses in every song that makes him sound half human-half robot. Now don't get me wrong, it sounds good and I couldn't imagine music today without T-Pain. Every song that guy is in is an automatic hit. But just like plastic surgery; it’s not real, it’s fake! I just feel like the music industry is gonna start to take anyone now because they can vocoder anyone’s voice to make them sound good. Why not look for real talent?
I hate to do this, but now I have to put Kanye West on blast for a quick second. I've gotten every album Kanye West has come out with. He is hands down my favorite rapper. I went to the Glow in the Dark Tour and I was in awe the entire concert. As we all know, Kanye started having some fun with this new vocoder trend. At first it was tight, it was different, a rapper trying to sing or whatever. Lollipop was sick, I Put On was sick, etc. Now his new song, Love Lockdown... The ENTIRE song is in vocoder..... His ENTIRE ALBUM is in vocoder.......... MR. WEST!?! WTF?? I remember at the Glow in The Dark concert, at the end he had this big motivational speech about how we should go chase our dreams and go after the best.. "IM COMIN FOR TUPAC, IM COMIN FOR BIGGIE..." He named at least 15 of the best artist to ever step foot in the music world. Now, the real question is... Would you ever see Tupac or Biggie using a vocoder? I would be DAMNED if they did. Kanye...If you wanna be the best...Stick to your real shit. This is ya boy, you know who it is.

No comments: